Dear Fulton County residents,
I am seeking re-election for Fulton County Sheriff for 2023! I will have a formal kick-off on Tuesday February 28, 2023. As the current Fulton County Sheriff, my primary responsibility is the day-to-day operations of our County, and I will continue to focus on public safety matters to provide the best service we can provide to members of the local community.
At the same time, my leadership team will continue to focus on training, equipment upgrades, and support for the members of all Divisions.
- We have restored both the Navigation Patrol and the Snowmobile Patrol thanks to public support and the approval of the Board of Supervisors
- Both our Road Patrol and Investigative Units have worked with many law enforcement agencies, both within and outside the County, on drug enforcement, active shooter preparedness, and other investigations.
- The Civil Division processes all pistol applications and additions in the County. Over 2 million dollars pass the Office annually.
- The Communications Center provides 24\7 support for all law enforcement in Fulton County and for the 17 Fire Departments and EMS Units.
- The Corrections Facility continues to operate at levels not seen in years. While the number of inmates housed has increased, the staff size has not. The C.O.’s are being tasked with more responsibilities on a daily basis and they continue to meet the demands despite the lack of additional staffing.
As I have said for 7 years, we lose too many deputies to other agencies due to pay and benefits disparities. I will continue to seek better pay and benefits for the members of the Office.
We spend tens of thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours on training our new deputies, just to have them leave after 2 or 3 years. They usually leave for more money and benefits just as they are hitting their stride as law enforcement officers. We must ensure that they are compensated fairly and competitively to provide them with a reason to stay in our County.
Re-election is secondary to my main focus of serving as Sheriff. As I have always done, I will run a clean campaign based on my qualifications, my accomplishments, and my goals for the future.
The Sheriffs’ Office is moving in the right direction – and I would like to continue to be a part of that progress.
On a personal note, it is a privilege and an honor to lead the many dedicated and hardworking professionals who serve in all Divisions of the Sheriff’s Office, and I’m so fortunate to serve in Fulton County.
Richard C. Giardino